Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Perfect Match! French and Italian


Having Arte Pura at Beadboard is like having every candy color in Italian linen.  Being a relatively new company they do not make fitted sheets for American beds.  I searched for the perfect match for our fabulous Arte Pura colors.  I found it!!!!!!!!!


I found it in Anne De Solene from France.... See the similarities??????? These are their beautiful solid color percale sheets called Vexin.  They also offer delightful prints that also enhance The Arte.  And a little lesson in this post on Thread Counts.... 
 Which is all BUNK.... Yes I said it, BUNK!!!! Read on if you dare....


For example this is the Sakouna/Aiko a floral with a sophisticated beigey,mauve on one side and a coordinating peach mauve on a white field on the reverse.

This is the Polevere Old in the Arte Pura.  See the similar color..?????


Anyone that reads my blog knows I love gray.  This is Percale sheeting Evanasence in Grey from Anne De Solene.  Cherubs and urns in gray on a white field that pair perfectly with...

Arte Pura's, Narciso Bed in the Lava, and Gesso Old. 
 A surprise on the back of the sham a grey and white 1/8" inch stripe.......So, I have these in the shop and I hand it over to a customer and ask her to tell me the thread count.....600??? 800???? These feel so smooth!!!!  Nope.    Ready? 200!!!!!!!!!! 
 They feel better than my 600TC *!$!$#$$$ I have at home!
They are weightier and will feel amazingly better as you wash them... Why????? Because the threads are smooth before they are woven into the fabric........We have all been taught to believe the higher the thread count means better quality..... Sferra started that, now they have started a campaign called "LOSE COUNT" and are no longer putting thread counts on their packaging according to Home Textiles Today issue dated May 23rd.


Oh, Love the Quatre Saisons Towels.......Gorgeous!!! But back to my rampage......


Some other delectable offerings from Anne De Solene. Promise in blue....
The idea of labeling sheets with thread count was to indicate better quality in the higher TC's and therefore justify charging more....A LOT MORE....It BACKFIRED.
 The problem with the thread count was that discount stores jumped in the mix and offered ourageous TC numbers but the quality was poor..... What difference does the TC make if the thread is sub par to begin with????? Threads weren't wicked properly so hair and lint stuck like glue in the wash or they pilled. It was as if some companies were using fine raffia to weave sheets! 
 Not so with these beauties.....

Promise in Coral. They are geraniums that look like they have been watercolored....  
 The article
in Home Textiles Today said "dubious marketing claims rendered the thread count distinctions meaningless".  Now Paul Hooker, head of Sferra linens, who started touting the whole thread count thing in the first place said " we birthed it, now we're killing it" relating to thread count.....

Duetto..... Anne De Solene reversible shams with accent flange in a third color.
 So, now we have all been Duped!!!!!  Not from the companies but from the VERBAGE they created to make their products more desirable to the consumer.

Anne De Solene Numero Uno towel with matelasse border....
Husbands even bought into the thread count lingo and would ask the thread count of sheets if a couple came into the shop.

Coordinating Numero Uno pillowcase...
So where does all this leave us??? Hopefully, more informed than before, knowing that there is great bedding out there, just buy it from someone knowledgeable enough and interested enough to get the best sheets that are right for you! Preferably in a small boutique where you can get some personal attention.  We still carry 400, 500 and 600 TC sheets. But we are now explaining them differently to our customers. AND the same customers that own those are also buying Anne De Solene......in the 200 TC and loving them!

Arte Pura Linen/Organza Sorgente bed.  Wouldn't it go great with..

 Anne De Solene Promise in Coral??????? Pretty!
 Soooooo.  The experts are saying forget about the thread count, just make sure your sheets are from a manufacturer that makes quality bedding.....Make sure they feel good to the touch......Flimsy and fuzzy is not a good thing.... Open those packages up and feel them.... Oh, and sheets are much the same as good jeans.... Select them the same way....
You live in jeans, you live in sheets.......Think about it.

15 comments:

  1. All so soft and romantic and beautiful. You are a lucky woman to have this line in your store. Any big plans for summer? It's already sooo hot here. I can only imagine south Texas!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial onthe thread counting! What you said makes perfect sense and it's such a relief...nice to know! I LOVE the geraniums in coral...so summery.
    xo J~

    btw- Loved your Lilac comment!!! Let me know when Blue Bell starts selling it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jessica, thank you for setting us all straight about the thread count. What you've said makes perfect sense. I've purchased 600ct. and had them not been as wonderful to sleep on as the lesser count. The Evanasence sheets are gorgeous as are the Anne De Solene Promise; I lied...they are ALL gorgeous! I hope you two are staying cool this spring? I think ole' Texas is trying to give me a run for my money before we move!?! Sending you & Robes all my very best. xo Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the beautiful post. Linen is so wonderful to sleep on. Growing up in Ireland we had linen sheets which washed and grew better with time. I have been sewing my own pillowcases in linen as they were unavailable and now it is delightful to see proper and pure bed linen.
    Will put your shop on my list for when next in Texas
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Romantic - soft - and beautiful. And gray is one of my favorite color as well!
    Greetings from the Périgord,
    karin

    Thank you very much Maryanne for your comment to the 'Peonies'.
    I will post an update, some useful planting information. I think that you could have them at your place as well....maybe? Hopefully! k

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of the luscious images. Thanks for the scoop on thread count!! What is better than sleeping on comfy sheets!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    Be sure to send your friends to come and enter my amazing Giveaway from Tracy Porter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I discovered this recently also. There is nothing better than smooth sheets. Great post! Loved all the linen. Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Maryanne, you have no idea how much you have influenced me about luxurious bedding, I have been changing all my bedding looking for local ones which are really nice too, not as luxurious as yours but pretty though. I don´t dare to buy online because I have lost two things already, they haven´t reached me and maybe never will... there´s is something so bad with our chilean mail.
    Everything is ok with us, we don´t leave near the volcano.
    hugs dear

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maryanne,

    Thank you for sharing this gorgeous post, loved seeing the wonderful collection you have in your shop. The Matelasse border towels are pretty, oh well everything is fabulous.

    Happy weekend and hope you are managing to stay cool
    Hugs Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you've just changed my life - my choices in bedding that is! What a revelation - I will be looking at these sheets! They do look beautiful!
    So glad I stopped by!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very informative post...I was shopping for new sheets today for my son to take away to college. I opened a set touted as 800 TC. They were so rough- really inferior.
    I am in love with all the gorgeous colors you showed us! Can't wait to try the Anne De Solene sheets. Thanks so much for the introduction!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Maryanne,
    What a wonderful post, very informative! I will never buy sheets based on thread count again!

    Erika
    Gowns by Beartie

    ReplyDelete
  13. C'est vraiment très beau. Votre blog est merveilleux, je me suis abonnée. Merci à vous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi

    I knew tht there had to be some reason why the high tc sheets that I have been buying lately are so rough and wrinkly and never soften. Any idea where in Canada these linens are available. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of space . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Reading this information So i'm happy to convey that I've a very just right uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I most undoubtedly will make certain to do not forget this site and provides it a look regularly.

    my blog ... discount coffee beans

    ReplyDelete